Marriage License Requirements

Please make sure to make time to get your marriage license in advance. You can get your license in any county in the state of Kentucky.

There is no waiting period and is good for 30 days. But we suggest that you get it no sooner than two weeks before your ceremony as sometimes it takes us a few days to get it mailed to the courthouse.

wedding at sky bridge

Here are the courthouses closest to us:

Please contact them directly for hours of operation, as they may have changed.

Powell County –
525 Washington Street, Stanton, KY 40380
(606) 663-6444
Monday/Friday 8:30-6:00pm
Tuesday/Wednesday 8:30-4:30pm
Thursday 8:30-Noon

Wolfe County –
10 Court Street, Campton, KY 41301
(606) 668-3515
Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri – 8:00am-4:00pm
Wed/Sat – 8am-12:00pm

Lee County –
256 Main Street, Beattyville, KY 41311
606-464-4115 (first floor of courthouse)
Monday-Friday 8-4pm

Clark County Courthouse –
34 South Main Street, Winchester, KY 40392
Monday-Friday 8-5pm


The officiant will complete the marriage license and we will mail it back.

Red River Gorge Weddings is not able to perform a marriage ceremony without the legal Marriage License from the state of Kentucky.

To be legally married in any county within Kentucky, you need a marriage license.

The couple may go to any county in Kentucky to get a marriage license as long as both are 18 years of age or older. Marriage licenses may be used in any Kentucky County and cannot be used anywhere but in Kentucky.

The county clerk issues marriage licenses. The fee ($50.00) is non-refundable. Fee may vary from county to county. Cash, certified check, cashier’s check or money order.

Marriage licenses are valid for 30 days, including the date it is issued. After that time it is invalid. Therefore, if the marriage ceremony is not within the 30-day period, the parties must apply for a new license.

Both parties must apply for the marriage license in person in the clerk’s office and both must sign the application for the marriage license.

Identification is required. Acceptable forms of ID include Driver’s License, current picture ID, Social Security card, birth certificate, or passport.

Both parties must be 18 years or older.

Please let us know if you have any questions!